The concept of influence is very different from being an “influencer”. If you are an entrepreneur, influence means exerting a positive effect on other people’s goals, actions and mindsets.
It means improving the experiences of co-workers, customers, friends and family members.
Here are 10 proven ways to increase that kind of influence:
1. Serve, don’t sell.
- Successful entrepreneurs/professionals serve rather than sell.
- Each time you interact with someone, your intention should be to help them, even if they do not ‘buy’ your offering.
- This approach, if practised consistently, produces much better results than any short-term transactional tactic.
2. Share one message at a time.
- It is advised not to try and get people to do two different things simultaneously.
- Multiple message and action prompts can confuse your audience.
- Instead, pick the one message that matters the most to you today ― as a leader, employee, entrepreneur ― and stick with it.
- You’re more likely to receive a positive response this way.
3. Do not brag.
- It may be tempting to bring up your accomplishments and achievements in conversations. But it can make you appear too full of yourself.
- It is better if a close friend or colleague shares the news of your achievements.
- Vaunting about one’s achievements makes it harder for others to relate to you.
4. Ask great questions.
- Along with sharing your wisdom, incorporate listening to others carefully to facilitate effective communication.
- Pose one or more questions that will help them solve their own problems.
5. Be human, not perfect.
- Being vocal about the setbacks faced makes one more relatable.
- Share your own disappointments as well as your achievements.
6. Lead with a hook.
- People are often busy.
- Before you can add value to their life, it is necessary to capture their attention.
- While meeting new people, always start with a hook that motivates others to engage with you.
7. Give away good ideas.
- Every time you come across a good idea, start thinking about how you can share it in a manner that benefits others.
8. Promote others.
- For others to be prepared to help you share your good news, actively help them do the same.
- Never miss an opportunity to boost the people you trust, respect and like.
9. Expand your expertise sectors.
- Entrepreneurs find success by developing expertise in a specific area.
- However, it is to note that the world is constantly changing.
- If you rest on your laurels too long, you may risk losing your influence.
- Adopt a growth mindset and find ways to become an expert in adjacent areas.
10. Be clear and truthful.
- It is good to keep things simple and honest.
- Avoid being indecisive about things and be a person of your word.
Influencing others is about working with them and promoting mutual benefits. Never underestimate the influence you have on others, and don’t overestimate it, cautiously guide and maintain the trust that earned you the influence.